Saturday, November 19, 2005

Grocery Store

I have tried to make big weekly trips to the grocery store, but it just doesn't work for our family. So, I've made it into an educational experience and we make short trips about three times a week.

It is cheaper for our family if I go to just a grocery store. If I go to a Super Wal-Mart or Target, I come back with something like a weeks supply of groceries a Joan Rivers Christmas CD, a new comforter for the blow up mattress, and a beta fighting fish that looks like it already fought, and a sense of pride at my ability to take advantage of a good sale.

Caleb, who is four, comes with me and we use the produce section for math. "Caleb if I have two apples and I get two more, how many do I have?" Sometimes if Caleb has his own little cart we will keep track of how many items he has in his cart and how many I have in mine. We will talk about how many more items he has than in his cart than I do in mine, or I'll ask questions such as, "If I take out the bananas and the apples, how many items will you have?"

I do my best to get Caleb involved in "helping" me get apples, or bananas, or the right kind of milk. The canned items are like stepping into an "I spy" book for Caleb.

Elise is just beginning to sign, so this is also a wonderful opportunity to work on those. Right now she is very proficient in the "more" sign. She wants more of everything! But there are all kinds of animal pictures at the grocery store, so we go over animal signs there.

The grocery store is also a great place to talk about nutrition, being polite, God's generosity, His blessings.

I try to go when the store is not that crowded. I usually go by myself on the weekend, just too many anxious people shopping for the week.

All of this works well because I make several small trips throughout the week. So if you are like me and can't do the calendar with a month of meals (I really envy those that can), adjust your goals and perspective. It's easier.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I do a big trip for two weeks, realize I still forgot about half a dozen things and STILL do several little trips through the week. I don't mind, It gets me out of the house!

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my site. First note, I understand about Super Walmart, however I love going there for shopping because I get everything for the next 2 weeks. Also how old is your little one that's signing? I leave my 7.5 mo old baby home in the evening with daddy while I go shopping. It's too hard to go by myself with him. I haven't learned that yet. :)

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home